Marquette basketball gets the 2012-2013 season underway on November 9 against AP Preseason 4th ranked Ohio State. Expectations are for the Golden Eagles to try to live up last season's performance. They lose 35% of their player minutes from last season and hope to replace that with the output of a Top 100 recruit and one other incoming freshman.
The biggest gap for Marquette to fill will be from long-range, as the team lost 71.1% of their three-point shooting. That's followed by scoring, where they drop 48.6% from last season.
The Golden Eagles landed a #11 ranking in last year's final regular season AP Top 25 poll. Marquette finished last year with an overall record of 25-6 and placed 2nd in the Big East with a conference record of 14-4. The Golden Eagles went on to the Big East tournament where they lost to Louisville, 84-71. In the NCAA Tournament, they were seeded 3rd and lost in the Sweet Sixteen to Florida, 68-58. The Golden Eagles lost two key players to the NBA. Jae Crowder was drafted by the Cleveland Cavaliers at Round 2, #4. Darius Johnson-Odom went to the Dallas Mavericks at Round 2, #25. The Golden Eagles will also have to get by without Jamail Jones (transferred to Florida Gulf Coast).
The Golden Eagles bring back senior Junior Cadougan (5.4 assists/game), junior Vander Blue (8.4 points/game), junior Jamil Wilson (1.4 blocked shots/game), sophomore Todd Mayo (7.9 points/game), and junior Davante Gardner (9.5 points/game).
To fill in the gaps, Marquette brings in a Top 100 Recruit. Steve Taylor is a 6-7 forward from Chicago, IL and is the #82 ranked recruit in the country.
One other freshman joins the Golden Eagles, 6-4 Jamal Ferguson. Also coming aboard are 6-3 junior Jake Thomas (transferred from South Dakota), 6-5 senior Trent Lockett (transferred from Arizona State), 6-4 sophomore Dylan Flood, and 6-7 sophomore Garrett Swanson (transferred from Idaho State).
The Golden Eagles will look forward to seven games against AP preseason Top 25 teams, including #4 Ohio State on November 9th, at #10 Florida on November 29th, and #23 Wisconsin on December 8th. The first Big East game for Marquette will be on January 1st against Connecticut.
Tags: Jamail Jones
- Marquette has had 7 consecutive 20+ win seasons.
- Since 2002, Marquette has an overall winning percentage of 68.4%. The Golden Eagles have been improving over the last 5 years with an overall winning percentage of 68.7%.
- The Golden Eagles have an average conference finish of 5.2 over the last 5 seasons. Over the past 16 the team has an average finish of 4.8.
- In a 10 year period, Marquette has signed 7 Top 100 high school players. Over 10 seasons, the Golden Eagles have signed 12 Top 100 players.
- With 2 NBA draft picks last year, that brings the Golden Eagles total to 7 over the last 10 years.
- With last year's trip to the NCAA Tournament, that makes 7 straight years the Golden Eagles have made it to the Big Dance.
- The average final RPI (last year) of opponents on this year's schedule is 104.9.
- This year's opponent with the highest RPI from last year is Syracuse (#2).
- This year's opponent with the lowest RPI from last year is Maryland-Baltimore County (#338).
- Marquette has 7 Preseason AP Top 25 teams on the schedule.
, Junior Cadougan
, Vander Blue
, Jamil Wilson
, Todd Mayo
, Davante Gardner
, Jamal Ferguson
, Jake Thomas
, Trent Lockett
, Dylan Flood
, Garrett Swanson